Understanding
a Biblical Worldview
What is a
Worldview?
In plain terms, a worldview is the filter through which
one examines the world. Additionally, opinions are formulated based on that which
is seen, understood, perceived, experienced, and felt. Subsequently, decisions
are made in direct response to those estimations, and the result is a set of
core values and convictions to be followed. In the introduction of his book, Think Biblically!, John MacArthur
describes a worldview as a “collection of presuppositions, convictions, and
values from which a person tries to understand and make sense out of the world
and life” (13). R.C. Sproul simply calls it “the glue found in a
unifying system of thought” (29). For example, if a young girl has grown up
with a physically and verbally abusive father, she may have troubled
relationships with adult men, and those feelings may carry over to how she
views and relates to God.
144 words
The Christian Worldview
How did life begin?
Christians believe that God formed everything since the
beginning of time, starting first with the heavens and earth, which is the only
planet mentioned by name in the Bible (Gen. 1.1). The creation account goes on to
describe the literal seven-day process of speaking into existence light,
darkness, water, dry land, plants, fish, birds, animals, and finally man. Moses
and David both concur that God is the originator of human kind (Psa. 139.13.16),
and that God created us in His image (Gen. 1.27). God saw fit to provide a
helper, a compliment to Adam, and fashioned the female from Adam’s rib (Gen. 2.21).
What does it mean to be human?
God immediately gave Adam and Eve rule over His creation,
and also gave them His blessing (Gen. 1:28). This should convince us that
humans are more important than animals. David sings praise to God and declares
how humans, while lower than angels, still are charged with ruling over beasts,
birds, and sea kind (Psa. 8.5.8). The entirety of God’s word is communicated to
men, from men, and scripture offers no special revelation about the elevation
of animals.
Why does mankind exist?
The Westminster Shorter Catechism states that humans were
designed to glorify God and enjoy Him forever (1 Cor. 10.31). To this end, we should be proactive in a
relationship with God, though prayer, worship, and fellowship with other
believers. We should spend time reading the Bible to further that relationship.
We were also created to participate in good works, which pleases our Heavenly
Father (Eph. 2.10, Matt. 5.16).
What is meant by right and wrong?
To have morals or ethics means to live by a specific set
of standards. Having a biblical worldview means that those standards come from
God’s word. His word lays the foundation for knowing right from wrong. In the
Old Testament this set of rules is know as The Ten Commandments (Ex. 20.3.17). Through His special revelation, we understand
that we born sinners (Ps. 51.5), and that we are offered the gift of salvation
because of the death of Jesus Christ, and through that our wrongs can be
forgiven.
Is there life after
death?
Perhaps the most important consequence
of a biblical worldview is what happens to us when we die. We know that heaven
and hell are literal places (Rev. 21.1-7, 20.11-15), and once we receive the
gift of eternal life, we reap the benefits of an eternity with our Creator. At
the end of our lives we are judged by God and those of us who truly knew Him
will see our name in the Book of Life (Rev. 20.12).
405 words
Influences of a Biblical Worldview
The way I interact with others on a
daily basis and the way I vote in elections should ultimately reflect my
biblical worldview. When I am interacting with people who irritate me, who lie
to me, who disrespect me, or who keep me from getting my own way, I am called
to respond with unending grace. For those who have offended me, I am called to
forgive seven times seventy (Mat. 18.21.22), or in other words, repeatedly. I
am currently living with a daughter with anger issues, upon who I must constantly
heap coals (Pro. 25.21.22) of unconditional loving kindness and tangible acts
of service, which is her love language. I do these things as unto the Lord, not
unto her, knowing that Christ has been beyond patient with me. Likewise, as I
prepare to vote in the next Presidential election, I know that ultimately God places
rulers in authority, and that I must submit to those rulers, even when I
disagree. It is through these actions that I honor and submit to God, by
submitting to the law and order of the land.
184 words
Works
Cited
Gutierrez, Ben and Lew Weider. “Understanding Worldview.” Finding Your Worldview:
Thinking
Christianly About the World, 2013. Web.Nov.2015.
MacArthur,
John. "Introduction." Think Biblically!: Recovering a Christian
Worldview.
Wheaton: Crossway, 2003. Print.
Sproul,
R. C. "Secularism: Ignoring the Eternal." Lifeviews: Understanding
The Ideas That
Shape Society Today. Old Tappan: F.H. Revell, 1986. Print.
The
Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Wheaton, IL: Good News Publishers,
2002. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment