Saturday, November 9, 2019

Sample Document 4


Relationship Building Plan
Amie Johnson
Liberty University










Abstract
This paper discusses the various relationships that a teacher builds throughout a career as an educator. As a Christian professional, I can build effective, encouraging, and nurturing relationships with students, parents, administrators, and other teachers in any institution. I should have a plan to foster and develop these relationships, and to shine the light of Christ on a daily basis with those whom I interact.
Keywords: relationships, teacher, student, parent, administrator, Christian







Relationship Building Plan
2 Titus 2:24 says, “The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged,” (NASB). It is on this firm foundation that I will shine the light of Christ in either the private or public sector. I will continue to allow Christ to mold me into His image, and I want to have that reflected in the way I conduct my relationships as an educator. I want students, parents, administrators, and other teachers to know my character based on who I am, and ideally the product of that will overflow into what I do in the classroom. My prayer is that Christ will reveal Himself in my relationships with others. 
The Teacher – Student Relationship
            It is possible to have a positive teacher – student relationship which causes the student to look forward to attending class each day. “There are four teacher roles that have the potential to influence the teacher – student relationship in favorable ways. Teachers are to serve as models, authority figures, servants, and mentor/disciplers” (McCullough 2008, 53).  Scripture calls all Christians to treat people the same way they want to be treated, and as a result they will be known by their fruits (Matthew 7:12-20, NASB). We know that children learn by watching others (McCullough 2008 53), and we live in a society that is lacking for positive influences for teens. Scripture has specific mandates which include living in harmony, speaking edifying words, giving grace, being kind and tender hearted, offering forgiveness, and generally being above reproach. This is a sample of the rod with which Christian teachers should be measuring their calling as role models. It is important to note that perfection is not the expectation, rather being aware that more is caught than taught. God created authority, and as a teacher placed in authority over God’s children for the time that they are in the classroom, I will work towards a balance of being in charge and responsible, and being of service to my students. As a servant of those entrusted to me, I will first and foremost pray for them. I will use edifying words in the classroom, allowing this to be the focus of one of my bulletin boards. It will be important for my students to feel nurtured and trusted by me, so that if the need arises they will be able to approach me with prayer requests or tangible needs. In a private school I will have a prayer box on my desk, informing the students that they may anonymously leave me notes. In a public setting I can have a needs box, informing those students that they can leave me anonymous notes sharing what is going on in their lives, and if they have anything they need help with. Being a prayer warrior for them and sharing what I can of my time, talents, and resources allows me to serve my students. A mentor is a teacher who has earned the trust and respect of a student, enough to where the student may seek out advice or opinions on a subject. Someone who offers wise counsel will hear and pray about a matter before offering a response, and will not shy away from saying those uncomfortable things that often don’t want to be heard, but go right along with scripture. One of the blessings my daughter experienced by attending a small Christian campus was that she had teachers who knew her from church, or teachers who had been at the school for years. My daughter knew who the safe teachers were, and those few were the ones she poured out her feelings to, and in return, they poured time and God’s word into her heart. I have seen how that mentor relationship is precious and I do not take that responsibility lightly.
The Teacher – Parent Relationship
            Teachers must understand that they are partners with parents in education, not the higher authority. Unfortunately, certain institutions cause confusion when they mandate teachers to offer sex education, or overt religious or spiritual instruction (like meditation) to their students. God has given the charge to parents to nurture (Deuteronomy 6:6-9), teach (Deuteronomy 4:9), train (Proverbs 22:6), provide for (2 Corinthians 12:14), control (1 Timothy 3:4), love (Titus 2:4), and correct (Proverbs 13:24) their blessings (McCullough 2008, 83). As humanity became more complicated, the need for official instruction shifted from the traditional family based model to the institutional based model. I understand my role as that of an ally when it comes to academic goals. Regardless of the setting, as a Christian teacher I will attempt to involve parents in all facets of their child’s education. There will be practical forms of communication like newsletters, bulletin boards, emails and open office hours. An open classroom policy is important for any parent, or anyone who is supporting the student, to be able to come into class and volunteer as a special helper. I have to understand that some parents might be uncomfortable or fearful of engaging with a teacher. Instead of taking lack of input personally, I will need to attempt to communicate early and regularly (McCullough 2008, 89). As time permits I would like to employ activities outside of classroom hours where families could come and have fun, like game and root beer float night. It will also be critical for me to inform parents of positive feedback on a regular basis, in order to help facilitate effective conversations when negative feedback may be in order. I will make clear to my parents that things happening at home are often reflected in the students’ work and behavior, and that I want to partner with them to support the whole student.
The Teacher – Administrator Relationship
            As a teacher subject to the authority of my administrator, I must be sensitive to the fact that I may not always agree with what is being asked of me. Regardless of my school setting, as a Christian first, I am called to filter what I am being asked to do through the sieve of scripture. In a typical work environment, it is just not professional to disagree with your superiors in a public way, nor is it appropriate to argue with them or speak ill of them with other employees. The same guidelines would be proper in a school setting. I have experience working alongside a Christian school principal, and while I did not always agree with him, I always respected him. He stood by his commands and was willing to be seen and heard as the final decision maker. As a teacher I want to be able to approach my administrators, be heard, respectfully disagree, and know that they will support me in my classroom. Hebrews 13:17 says, “Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you” (NASB).  I will also look forward to classroom observations and take constructive criticism to heart.
The Teacher – Teacher Relationship
In a similar fashion to the teacher – administrator relationship, the teacher – teacher relationship should be one of mutual respect.  There are great opportunities for more experienced teachers to mentor new ones, for new teachers to encourage each other with current trends and emotional support, and for new teachers to offer seasoned teachers’ enthusiasm that sometimes wanes from being in the job for a long time. “Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another” (Proverbs 27:17 NASB). Christian teachers have an obligation to be encouragers and refiners of one another. In a secular school setting, the mandate is the same for a believer. I do not have to walk into the teachers’ lounge and proclaim my faith, rather teachers should know my character based on whether or not my foundation is firm and consistent, and whether or not I am reflecting Christlike character on a daily basis. During my first few years of teaching I plan to seek a mentoring or induction program. An induction program will allow me to partake in staff activities that focus on typical first year teacher problems (Kauchak & Eggen 2014, 436).
Conclusion
Christlike character and a firm biblical foundation will provide me with the most victory when it comes to coping with my peers, my superiors, my pupils and their guardians. Prayer must become a priority in my life, and in the appropriate setting I should welcome others into God’s circle of supplication and praise. “If I am to be influential for God’s glory in my classroom and in my life, God must be involved in my life,” (McCullough 2008, 7).  To love like Jesus, I must extend grace just as He has shown me. We were created by God for relationships, not to live in isolation. It is in these relationships with teachers, students, leadership, and parents that we can truly glorify God.


References
Kauchak, D. P., & Eggen, P. D. (2014).  Introduction to Teaching: Becoming a Professional.
Saddle River: Pearson Education, Inc.
McCullough, J. D. (2008). Kingdom Living in the Classroom. Colorado Springs: Purposeful
Design publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment